The Easter Wreath with 3 hard-boiled colored eggs is a great sweet bread for the Easter table because it is not just yummy but also decorative.
Easter is the time for good food – like lamb, cakes and ham – and a large variety of chocolate eggs and chocolate bunnies.
More German recipes at www.Mybestgermanrecipes.com
Ingredients Easter Sweet Bread Wreath
950 g flour
42 g fresh yeast or dry yeast
100 g sugar
1 Tbsp or less cardamom
1 pinch salt
400 ml milk (warm)
115 g butter, slightly melted
3 hard boiled colored eggs
Cooking Instructions Easter Sweet Bread Wreath
Baking time 30 Min.
– Mix yeast with some sugar and warm milk, then add it into the mold and mix it with some flour (use finger).
– Add remaining sugar, cardamom, salt, milk, butter and 3 eggs, knead until you get a smooth dough (not sticky or firm); maybe you need some more milk.
– Place dough on a baking board with some flour and knead for about 6-8 minutes, place back into the bowl, cover it with a moist fabric and let it rest for 1 hour until volume has doubled.
– Meanwhile take a card board roll like from an empty kitchen roll, cut it in 3 pieces and wrap them with aluminum foil.
– Place baking paper on a baking tray.
– Now knead dough again briefly and divide it in 3 parts which you roll to 3 rolls of 65cm length.
– Make a braid out of the 3 dough rolls and place it on the baking tray.
– Press the cardboard rolls on 3 spots into the dough. Best is to place when the ends of the braid are getting together.
– Let dough rise again (place the whole tray it into a clean plastic bag and knot it or cover it with a moist fabric) for about 30 min. Volume needs to be visibly more.
– Pre-heat oven to 180 c or 360 F; beat 1 egg and add 1 tbsp milk, mix well. Spread over the wreath and bake it for 30 minutes until it shows a golden color.
– Place it on a baking grid (in using a cake shovel), take out the 3 rolls and replace them with 3 hard boiled and colored eggs.