German Poppy Seed Pastry
German Poppy seed pastry is a classic of the German bakeries; you can find these pastries in every German bakery. But unfortunately not in the USA. You can make the poppy seed pastries at home, it is not that difficult. The photo below shows a double pastry, just place two small ones together; they are not glazed. I personally like it better because the glaze is sticky and can make the pastry sometimes too sweet. Happy Baking!
Ingredients German Poppy Seed Pastry
500 g flour
1 package dry yeast
50 g potato starch
1 pinch salt
300 ml milk
50 ml oil
175 g poppy seeds (ground or whole, as you like)
60 ml milk
25 g soft butter
75-100 g sugar
1 package vanilla sugar
175 g powdered sugar
2 tbsp hot water
– sieve flour and starch into a bowl, add yeast and a bit of salt and mix well.
– add egg, milk and oil and knead until you get a smooth dough.
– Cover it with a kitchen cloth and let it raise until dough has doubled.
– mix poppy seeds with milk, egg and vailla sugar until you get a thick cream, add sugar to taste (or 100g).
– knead dough again, on a baking board that is dusted with flour roll it to a rectangle and spread poppy seed cream on top, all dough should be covered.
– Roll it carefully and press ends carefully together.
– if you want bigger pastried roll it from the longer side; for smaller pastries roll it from the shorter side.
– Cut 1,5-2cm or up to 3/4 inch slices and place them on a baking tray that had been layered with parchment paper.
– let raise for another 20-30 min.
– pre-heat oven to 200 C or 375 F and bake pastries for 5-10 min
– for the glaze mix powdered sugar with water and spread on warm pastries.
The glaze is optional. They are tasting great without it and are less sweet.
No related posts.
Related posts brought to you by Yet Another Related Posts Plugin.Print This Post